Welcome to RB Sunrise Rotary


Thanks for joining us.

The purpose of this blog is to allow a prospective Rotarian to follow my experience as I join Rotary and progress through the process of becoming a Rotarian.

You can learn more about RB Sunrise Rotary at www.rbsunrise.org.

We welcome your comments and questions, and look forward to seeing you at one of our meetings.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Always wear your Rotary pin

I'm a commercial real estate broker in San Diego. As part of my job I have a lot of meetings and meet a lot of people. While doing so, I've found that it is important to establish common ground with them because it helps us to get to know each other better. That's important.

So I've taken to wearing my little Rotary pin on my lapel. Twice now within just the past month people have asked me if that is a Rotary pin. They recognize it right away because they, too, are Rotarians. Immediately a rapport is generated that might otherwise not occur. We immediately have something in common. Further, it breaks down a lot of barriers because now we know that we share common values. After all, people do business with those whom they know, like, and trust. Having Rotary in common with others that I meet everyday goes a long way toward establishing that important bond of commonality.

This is better than a secret handshake! Always wear your Rotary pin!

By the way, I can be reached via e-mail at paul.gorman@svn.com, my Sperry Van Ness Commercial Real Estate Advisors e-mail address. Our web site is www.svn.com. And you may phone me at (858) 204-9547.

Until next time.....

2 comments:

Rob Weinberg said...

I've been saying this exact thing for years. The Rotary pin is a marketing tool, and your Good Housekeeping seal. Good for you for saying it. You even just prompted me to post a blog of my own ranting about the same topic.

Haloranch said...

Paul,

I have some Rotary photos in my blog from the March District Conference we attended in Manila, Philippines. We were a team of 8 from Canada, and the RIPR was Dr. Monty Audenart from our club of Red Deer East, so that made 10. We went in part to check on projects our club has funded and look for new projects with our sister club, Las Pinas Camino Real in Manila.

You can see photos in my blog at http://haloranch.blogspot.com if you click on March in the archives. There's a great "Peace" photo we took with a bunch of kids from a village where we distributed 240 gifts to little kids, but you'll have to scroll nearly all the way down to see it.

Rtns Hans and Lolita from Alberta, Canada.

About Me

San Diego, CA, United States
Paul Gorman serves as an Advisor with Sperry Van Ness, specializing in the sale and leasing of office and industrial properties. Gorman is experienced in assisting owners of commercial real estate portfolios in maximizing their financial investments during acquisition or liquidation. Before entering commercial real estate, Gorman spent more than 20 years in the software industry. Gorman served as Sales Director with Compuware Europe, BV, and CACI Products Company. His clients included government agencies, Fortune 500 companies, and international corporations. Gorman also served in the United States Navy for 20 years as an aviator, reaching the rank of Commander. The U.S. Navy selected him for postgraduate education in the prestigious Operations Research program of the Naval Postgraduate School, where he earned his Master of Science degree. Gorman is active in both industry and community as a member of Toastmasters International Club 1442 and RB Sunrise Rotary Club. In addition to his Master of Science degree from the Naval Postgraduate School, he earned his Bachelor of Science from the Ohio State University. Gorman currently resides in San Diego with his family.